1 Tri-Tip, fat cap and sinew removed.
1/3 Cup Veg. Oil
1/3 Cup (½ Red Wine, ½ Red
Lrg. Tbsp Dijon Mustard
4 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
1 Tbsp Parsley, Minced
Your favorite steak or brisket seasoning.
1) In the morning, lightly dust Tri-tip with your favorite beef rub or seasoning, wrap with plastic film and refrigerate 4-6 hours, but no less than 3.
2) Combine Baste/Mop Sauce ingredients and emulsify with a hand blender. Stir in garlic and parsley. Make in the morning so ingredients can marry.
3) ½ hour before grilling, remove Tri-Tip from refrigerator; lightly dust beef again with your favorite seasoning or rub. Let stand at room temp.
4) Set up PK with 2 layer, hot fire. Ensure grill is clean. Place Tri-tip on grill over coals. Grill for 3 minutes, then turn and baste Tri-tip with Mop Sauce. Turn Tri-tip every 3 minutes and mop each time. Tri-Tips have 3 sides. So make sure you grill it on that 3rd side. Cook Tri-tip to desired doneness. Also, if Tri-Tip is getting too much color (Bark), just move charcoal to one side, place meat on the other side and finish cooking indirect. I use a instant read thermometer and pull it off at 135 degrees for Medium Rare.
5) Remove Tri-Tip to platter, pour remaining Mop Sauce over Tri-tip, tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 10-15 minutes. Carve against the grain (Tri-Tip has two separate muscles, so two separate grains).