Jess Pryles' PK Bacon Kebabs
Posted by Jess Pryles on 28th Jan 2016
3/9/18 Update: Jess Pryles' new cookbook Hard Core Carnivore: Cook Meat Like You Mean It is available now and chock full of delicious recipes like this one. Check it out here.
It’s never a problem finding a protein to cook on the cast aluminum PK Grill – I’m always excited to throw on a steak and get that great char flavor, but I often end up ignoring the side dishes that make it a complete meal. Veggie kebabs are a great way to prepare a meal all at once when you’re cooking on the PK, but veggies on their own can be a little boring… until you add bacon! Let’s be honest, bacon makes everything better, and the crispy little morsels in these kebabs are no exception.
1 x zucchini
1 x yellow squash
1 x small red onion
2 x bell peppers (preferably different colors)
1 x 12oz pack Apple wood or Hickory smoked bacon
Salt & Pepper to taste
8 x large wood or metal skewers
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 mins.
- Cut zucchini, squash, onion and peppers into similar sized pieces, ready to be threaded onto skewers.
- Open the bacon and cut the slices in half down the middle to form two shorter slices.
- Push vegetables onto the skewers, alternating with three of the short pieces of bacon per skewer. Thread each bacon slice multiple times to form twists which will char up nicely. Sprinkle assembled kebabs with salt & pepper.
- Light a chimney of charcoal and once coals are glowing, spread over one side of the PK Grill. Allow the grill to heat approximately 10 mins.
- Start the kebabs on the non-coal (cool) side of the grill, turning occasionally, around 7 minutes.
- Move kebabs directly over coals, turning frequently. The bacon may cause a few flame flare ups, so you’ll need to watch that it doesn’t burn.
- Once veggies and bacon have reached your desired level of doneness (remember, crisp bacon is way better than limp bacon!), take them off the PK Grill and enjoy!
Like this recipe from Jess Pryles? See more at JessPryles.com