Grilled Stuffed Tomatoes Capre
- 6 plum tomatoes, tops cut off, stemmed and chopped, and insides scooped out
- 6 small bocconcini (or 3 large ones, cut in half) or other top-quality mozzarella, cut into 1” cubes
- Combine and mix:
- 1/2 cup Progresso Italian Breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesean/romano cheese, and extra for topping
- 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped, with 6 additional stems and leaves for garnish
- Combine and whisk:
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs good extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- dash of Crystal Hot Sauce
Clean and scoop out the plum tomatoes, then put one piece of bocconcini or mozzarella into each tomato. Combine the the dry ingredients and then the wet ingredients, and mix the two together well. Stuff the mixture into the tomatoes, mounding it slightly. Top each tomato with extra grated parmesan and place them into a greased disposable muffin pan.
Start your grill, and build a medium-hot, modified two-level fire with one side hot and one side warm. Grill the tomatoes over the hot side for about four mins, being careful they don’t burn and turning them often. Then, move them to the warm side, close the grill lid, and let them cook an additional 5 mins, turning occasionally, until all the cheese is melted.
Top each tomato with a small basil stem and leaf, and serve hot.