Wild Pastrami for the Hunters
Corned Meat / Pastrami
- 4# beef brisket or roast of beef, deer, bear, elk etc.
- 1/2 tsp salt peter (potassium nitrate)
- 1/4 C warm water
- 2 T sugar
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 ½ T mixed pickling spices
- 1/2 C salt, or use "pink salt" and omit the salt peter
- 2 quarts water
- 4 bay leaves
- Some red pepper and ground mustard can be added for some kick.
Dissolve the salt peter in the warm water. Dissolve the salt in the 2 quarts of water. Mix everything together and pour over the meat. Be sure the meat is beneath the surface of the liquid. Refrigerate for three weeks in burped freezer bags, turning the meat once or twice per week. Prepare according to any standard recipe for corned beef, but much better to smoke as below.
Smoke brined meat for 2-4 hours low heat. Have one vent 1/2 open on top and bottom of PK.
Cover with thick layer of coarse ground black pepper
Can be eaten hot, or tightly wrap in plastic, store in refrigerator for at least 24 hours. Can be thin sliced for sandwiches.
This is so good, all my friends rave over it.